Friday, July 11, 2014
Drake's surgery!
We found out yesterday that Drake had really bad infections in his mouth. His teeth were yucky and his gums too. The vet told me that he needs surgery. I am so glad that he was able to do it today. He told me that they will draw Drake's blood to make sure he is healthy enough to have surgery. If his blood didn't look good then we would have to make the decision to put him down. I stressed all night and all morning about this. Many tears were shed because he is such a sweet and goofy dog. I love him! I know that he is getting old--along with the rest of the pets. I took him in at 8:00am. They told me that they were going to draw his blood, and if it didn't look good they would call me. I stressed for a while wondering if I was going to get a phone call. I am so glad that I didn't. That meant that they proceeded with the surgery. I know he would have to have some teeth removed. They told me they had to remove 7 teeth and that lots of really gross stuff (hair, carpet, feces, etc) were impacted inside his gums. They had to pull out lots of really gross stuff! I wish Drake didn't think he was a vacuum cleaner. Plus his tongue hanging out all the time doesn't help with things. He collects everything on his tongue. I went and picked him up at 3:00pm. I couldn't wait to see him. He walked out to us. There was blood on his mouth because they weren't able to get one of the holes closed. It just kept tearing everytime they stitched it. They said that it would eventually clot but we would probably have some blood in spots. He didn't like us wiping the blood off his face or the drool that would hang out of his mouth. Poor dog! He must have been in LOTS of pain! He laid around a lot when we got him home. We needed to give him an antibiotic, so we did that. He didn't want to eat hard food, so I put food in a bowl with some water and let it soften it up. That's what we fed him for a week. My mom is awesome to help give him medicine because we went to Oregon on Monday, July 14. I felt horrible leaving Drake just after having surgery, but this trip was planned. I am glad they were able to do the surgery before we left too, or he would have suffered for another week or so. Thanks again to my mom for helping out with my sweet babies! Drake did really good. They told us at the vet that he was super sweet. He didn't fight or cry out. He did really good. It doesn't surprise me. He is just that way. He loves attention and is just a big teddy bear! I love Drake!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment